Sunday, May 22, 2011

Day 135 a note from God: 2 Samuel 24, 1 Chronicles 21‐22, Psalm 30


Then David said to God, “I have sinned greatly by doing this. Now, I beg you, take away the guilt of your servant. I have done a very foolish thing.”

The LORD said to Gad, David’s seer, “Go and tell David, ‘This is what the LORD says: I am giving you three options. Choose one of them for me to carry out against you.’”


I Chronicles 21:8-9 NIV

If you haven't read the whole story take time to do so.

God gives David a choice. In other words, there are going to be consequences for the actions that David has taken. Now David must choose.

David provides an example that we all could use. David is a stand up guy. He admits his mistake and he is going to own the consequences - no passing the buck here. Probably seems a bit foreign considering how little that happens today.

David goes on to teach us more in this story . . .

But King David replied to Araunah, “No, I insist on paying the full price. I will not take for the LORD what is yours, or sacrifice a burnt offering that costs me nothing.”
I Chronicles 21:24 NIV

David declares I won't give God a gift that has not cost me something. Consider that concept the next time you throw your left over change in the plate at church and call it an offering.

David teaches us by example that we need to own our actions (and the consequences for them) and that as we give to God it is not the amount, but rather the sacrifice that is important.

2 comments: