Saturday, May 7, 2011

Day 119 a note from God: 2 Samuel 7 and 1 Chronicles 17


After David was settled in his palace, he said to Nathan the prophet, “Here I am, living in a house of cedar, while the ark of the covenant of the LORD is under a tent.”

Nathan replied to David, “Whatever you have in mind, do it, for God is with you.”

But that night the word of God came to Nathan, saying: "Go and tell my servant David, ‘This is what the LORD says: You are not the one to build me a house to dwell in. I have not dwelt in a house from the day I brought Israel up out of Egypt to this day. I have moved from one tent site to another, from one dwelling place to another. Wherever I have moved with all the Israelites, did I ever say to any of their leaders whom I commanded to shepherd my people, “Why have you not built me a house of cedar?”’

“Now then, tell my servant David, ‘This is what the LORD Almighty says: I took you from the pasture, from tending the flock, and appointed you ruler over my people Israel. I have been with you wherever you have gone, and I have cut off all your enemies from before you. Now I will make your name like the names of the greatest men on earth. And I will provide a place for my people Israel and will plant them so that they can have a home of their own and no longer be disturbed. Wicked people will not oppress them anymore, as they did at the beginning and have done ever since the time I appointed leaders over my people Israel. I will also subdue all your enemies. I declare to you that the LORD will build a house for you

I Chronicles 17:1-10 NIV

Wow! Did you catch all that?

Some thoughts:

1. Recognizing the problem does not mean that you are the one to do the work. David saw the need for a proper temple, but this was not the task for David.

2. Gaining worldly wealth is not a problem. David was overwhelmed by all that he had in contrast to the provisions for God. David's heart was in the right place and God was pleased with him.

3. God was concerned more for the well being of His people than His own temple. Perhaps, as leaders we can learn that caring for the people we lead should be our priority.

4. God is more concerned for us than we can understand.

5. Building beautiful churches is wonderful, but from the beginning that was not God's concern. God wanted His people cared for and protected.

6. How is it we have so many churches in disrepair with no one seeming to care?

7. How is we have churches with out of date technology and computers and so many homes with the latest WiFi, High Def, Plasma, whatevers?

8. When will God's house be more important than my house?

9. When will we stop carrying about the carpet in the sanctuary getting dirty and worry more about the needs of the person with the dirty shoes?

A dozen or more great lessons for leadership (inside and outside of the church) can be gleaned from this one chapter.

What will you learn today?


*** Image is of City Methodist Church in Gary, Indiana ***

No comments:

Post a Comment