Monday, May 9, 2011

Day 121 a note from God: 2 Samuel 8-9 and I Chronicles 18


These two chapters in Samuel reveal a measure of the wrath and compassion of God.

THE WRATH
David also defeated the Moabites. He made them lie down on the ground and measured them off with a length of cord. Every two lengths of them were put to death, and the third length was allowed to live.
2 Samuel 8:2 NIV

THE COMPASSION
David asked, “Is there anyone still left of the house of Saul to whom I can show kindness for Jonathan’s sake?”
2 Samuel 9:1 NIV

While I admit that I cannot conceive the scene that results in two-thirds of an enemy population to be summarily killed. I must also admit that I have a hard time conceiving the kindness shown to the relative of the person that tried for years to have you killed.

That is the trouble we have with God. We try to wrap our infinite thinking around the infinite God - that in itself is a paradox that cannot be.

We need to learn to approach God like a child - filled with wonder, awe, and fear.

It is only then that we can even begin to conceive all that is God.

No comments:

Post a Comment