Tuesday, April 24, 2012

On the Way to Sunday . . . What do we really know?

What do you know for sure?

Try making a list of the things you know for sure . . . Not an easy task.

Are sure about all the things on your list? Are you really?

When it comes to your faith, what do you know for sure?

There is so much debate in Christian circles today regarding what the Bible says for sure.  One is left to wonder, "What can we know for sure?"

John Wesley, once said, “When I was young I was sure of everything. But after a few years, having been mistaken a a thousand times, I was not half so sure of most things as I was before. And at present, I am hardly sure of anything except what God has revealed to me.”

When it comes to developing our faith a series of stages of faith development was proposed by Dr. James W. Fowler in his book Stages of Faith. Part of the premise of the development of faith proposed by Fowler is that in order to advance your faith you must first question all that you previously believed. Each growth of faith is predicated by asking, "What do I know for sure?"

Growing our faith then is less about setting our feet in concrete, but more about wading into the mud.

That said, I still believe there are some things that we can know for sure and that will always remain constant.  Maybe you can discover them like I have in I John.

See you Sunday . . . well if there is one . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment