Monday, May 16, 2011

Day 128 a note from God: Psalms 3,4,12,13,28,55


Help, LORD, for no one is faithful anymore; those who are loyal have vanished from the human race. Everyone lies to their neighbor; they flatter with their lips but harbor deception in their hearts.
Psalm 12:1-2 NIV

I don't desire to give you sleepless nights, but if you watch the news and read the national statistics you might think we should stand guard every night to keep ourselves safe.

As David wrote the Psalms we read today, he certainly had every right to feel that way. His own son is now hunting him down in attempted coup d'état. Now this isn't the first time that David has had to flea while someone was hunting him in hopes of killing him.

Yet with all the trouble around him David trusts God and God's plan.

That trusts allows him to lie down and sleep. He sleeps trusting in God . . . I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the LORD sustains me. Psalm 3:5 NIV

There is is a famous children’s prayer which became widely used in the 18th century when of course childhood mortality was very high:

Now I lay me down to sleep,
I pray the Lord my soul to keep,
If I die before I wake,
I pray the Lord my soul to take.


That alwasy creeped me out for someone reason. I think I'll go with David's prayerful thought: I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the LORD sustains me.

How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment