Friday, May 27, 2011

Remembering Harmon Killebrew


Harmon Killebrew 1936-2011

I will never meet a nicer ball player. He belongs in the Hall of Fame as a player and a gentleman.

Harmon was unfortunately a one-of-a-kind man. Sure, you need only meet players like Michael Cuddyer, Justin Morneau, Torri Hunter, Tony Oliva, Kent Hrbek, and Al Newman and you can tell the influence Harmon had on these men. But, Harmon has them all beat hands down.

As Season Ticket Holder for 4 years (2002-2005), I had the chance to be around the ballpark and the Twins on many occassions:

1) I was amazed that on many an evening, Harmon would be out on the plaza outside the Metrodome listening to the music and watching people. I was more amazed by the fact that he would sit and talk to anyone and everyone that approached him. He was always kind and always had a postive word to say - including thank you in response to every compliment he was given.

2) I was amazed by the small acts of kindness that Harmon would do without notice. On one particular day, I was at TwinsFest one cold day in January with my son who was 6 at the time. I was watching a clinic that the coaches and players were conducting with young players. My son so wanted to be on the other side of the barrier playing catch with the boys. He was dressed in a Twins uniform and shadowing every move the boys made. I had to keep reminding him he couldn't go passed the barricade. Apparently this didn't escape the notice of a man that was walking by . . . he had a ball in hand and asked, "Would it be okay to play some catch with my son?" I never looked up and said, "Sure." A toss back and forth, a "good throw" later and the man was gone. I waved goodbye and said, "Thank You!" I then turned to my young son and said, "Never forget this day. You just played catch with a hall of famer - Harmon Killebrew!"

3) I have observed Harmon continually give back to the community through his charity work and countless hours given to the fans.




I will miss Harmon.

Baseball will miss Harmon.

Minnesota will miss Harmon.

Humanity will miss Harmon.




Thankfully, the stories and the life Harmon lived will live on in all those he touched so magically in his life.

Thanks for playing "catch" with all your fans for so long!

No comments:

Post a Comment