Monday, February 4, 2013

In His Steps ... preparing to travel to the Holy Land


You were called to this kind of endurance, because Christ suffered on your behalf. 
He left you an example so that you might follow in his footsteps.  

I have a trophy of sorts that sits in my office. I received it in 1983 at a Fellowship of Christian Athletes Camp.  Scribed on the trophy base are the words "in His steps" and the scripture reference.  On top of the base is a nice wooden cross.  I received the award for 'best' exemplifying the theme 'in His steps' during the week of camp.  It still seems a bit strange to get a trophy for being like Jesus.

That trophy and the words "in His steps" have begun to take on a new meaning for me ... and I am not sure what that new meaning will be.  You see, I leave tomorrow for a trip to walk in the land of Jesus.  I will be traveling with a group of Methodists from Indiana including our Bishop who is hosting the trip.  We will travel first in the region of Galilee and then to Jerusalem.  We will walk walk and travel the land that Jesus walked.  We will be on the Sea of Galilee.  We will see the little strip of water called the Jordan River.  We will walk the narrow streets of Jerusalem.  How can you not be changed?

I still remember visiting Gettysburg for the first time and standing on the ground of Picket's Charge.  I never thought of the Civil War the same - history became real!

A lot has changed in 2000 years.  Buildings built ... ground eroded ... actual locations lost to time ...
but to see the land ... to no longer imagine the Sea of Galilee ... to no longer rely on someone's description ... to walk in His steps.  Not sure what that will mean?

I invite you to follow along.  I plan to share pictures, stories, and experiences as I walk the land that Jesus walked.





No comments:

Post a Comment