Saturday, December 24, 2011

Day 350 a note from God: 2 Timothy


From Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by God’s will, to promote the promise of life that is in Christ Jesus.
To Timothy, my dear child.
Grace, mercy, and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord. I’m grateful to God, whom I serve with a good conscience as my ancestors did. I constantly remember you in my prayers day and night. When I remember your tears, I long to see you so that I can be filled with happiness. I’m reminded of your authentic faith, which first lived in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice. I’m sure that this faith is also inside you. Because of this, I’m reminding you to revive God’s gift that is in you through the laying on of my hands. God didn’t give us a spirit that is timid but one that is powerful, loving, and self-controlled.


2 Timothy 1:1-7 CEB

It's Christmas Eve and thoughts of family and gatherings run through my head. As I read this passage, I cannot help but think of my grandmothers - Bonnie and Claretta.

They were always my encouragers. My grandmother gave me my first Bible. I now have with me my grandfather's Bible that he used to teach SS.

As we grow older we share with others that which has been shared with us. We are entrusted with it - faith.

Tonite I will share the Christmas story with the people of Hagerstown - just as other ministers before me have been doing since 1897 in this space.

I gain courage and strength from those that told the story before me.

What story will you tell?

What story will be remembered from your life?

Merry Christmas!

1 comment:

  1. Peace to you and your family and to the faithful of First Church at Hagerstown!

    Merry Christmas.

    Andy, Kathy, Samantha and Sarah Dix

    ReplyDelete