Friday, February 15, 2013

Holy Land Final Day ... an empty tomb

 
Early in the morning of the first day of the week, while it was still dark,
Mary Magdalene came to the tomb and saw that the stone had been taken away from the tomb.

John 20:1 CEB

Mary from Magdala.  I read this now and wonder what secrets will be revealed as they begin to excavate her hometown.  Mary seems more real to me now that I have walked along the paths that were once her home by the shore of Galilee.

I don't know if this is the garden tomb where Jesus was buried.  I don't know if I stood on the site of Golgotha.  Is it this place or is at the Church of the Holy Sepulcher? I just don't know.  With great probability it is one of these places.  I want to root for this place.  It is simple.  A garden near the ancient roads just outside the city gate.  A wall of stone that looks like a skull.  A family tomb that appears to have never been used.  It all fits, but still we wonder.

It really doesn't matter.  The tomb is empty! What are you looking for?

So, we took time to remember ....

While they were eating, Jesus took bread, blessed it, broke it, and gave it to the disciples and said, “Take and eat. This is my body.”  
He took a cup, gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying,
“Drink from this, all of you this is my blood of the covenant,
which is poured out for many so that their sins may be forgiven.
Matthew 26:26-28 CEB

A body broken ... A cup of grace poured out ... A life sacrificed .... Death defeated !

We ate. We sang. We remembered.

Now ... may we never forget.



No comments:

Post a Comment