Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Holy Land Day 5 ... Sunday in the Garden

                                                   Photo [A view of the Temple Mount]

Arrived in Jerusalem and this was our view this morning.  I am officially a pilgrim in the city of Jerusalem.  I even have a certificate from the Ministry of Tourism and the Mayor to prove it.
Jerusalem, Jerusalem! You who kill the prophets and stone those who were sent to you, How often I wanted to gather your people together, just as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings. But you didn’t want that.  Look, your house is left to you deserted.  I tell you, you won’t see me until you say, Blessings on the one who comes in the Lord’s name.  Matthew 23:37-39

After viewing the city from the Mount of Olives, we walked the path of Palm Sunday and stopped at the Garden of Gethsemane.  We were given access to the larger garden … not just the tourist place.  In that place, we had Sunday morning church and I shared a message with our group.
                                                    Photo [An Olive Tree in the Garden]
I read this passage this morning in the Graden:

36 Then Jesus went with his disciples to a place called Gethsemane. He said to the disciples, “Stay here while I go and pray over there.” 37 When he took Peter and Zebedee’s two sons, he began to feel sad and anxious. 38 Then he said to them, “I’m very sad. It’s as if I’m dying. Stay here and keep alert with me.” 39 Then he went a short distance farther and fell on his face and prayed, “My Father, if it’s possible, take this cup of suffering away from me. However—not what I want but what you want.”

40 He came back to the disciples and found them sleeping. He said to Peter, “Couldn’t you stay alert one hour with me? 41 Stay alert and pray so that you won’t give in to temptation. The spirit is eager, but the flesh is weak.” 42 A second time he went away and prayed, “My Father, if it’s not possible that this cup be taken away unless I drink it, then let it be what you want.”

43 Again he came and found them sleeping. Their eyes were heavy with sleep. 44 But he left them and again went and prayed the same words for the third time. 45 Then he came to his disciples and said to them, “Will you sleep and rest all night? Look, the time has come for the Human One[e] to be betrayed into the hands of sinners. 46 Get up. Let’s go. Look, here comes my betrayer.”
 47 While Jesus was still speaking, Judas, one of the Twelve, came. With him was a large crowd carrying swords and clubs. They had been sent by the chief priests and elders of the people. 48 His betrayer had given them a sign: “Arrest the man I kiss.” 49 Just then he came to Jesus and said, “Hello, Rabbi.” Then he kissed him.

50 But Jesus said to him, “Friend, do what you came to do.” Then they came and grabbed Jesus and arrested him.

51 One of those with Jesus reached for his sword. Striking the high priest’s slave, he cut off his ear. 52 Then Jesus said to him, “Put the sword back into its place. All those who use the sword will die by the sword. 53 Or do you think that I’m not able to ask my Father and he will send to me more than twelve battle groups[f] of angels right away? 54 But if I did that, how would the scriptures be fulfilled that say this must happen?” 55 Then Jesus said to the crowds, “Have you come with swords and clubs to arrest me, like a thief? Day after day, I sat in the temple teaching, but you didn’t arrest me. 56 But all this has happened so that what the prophets said in the scriptures might be fulfilled.” Then all the disciples left Jesus and ran away. 
                                                                                                                      Matthew 26:36-56
How much does Christ love you and me?  Jesus made the choice of the way to cross.  Jesus chose to give us his life. (v 42)

The same questions being asked in the garden 2000 years ago are being asked today …
Will you remain awake and alert when called upon?

Will you stay or run away when faith is hard?
Prayer:
May the God of all grace, who has called us to eternal glory in Christ, establish you and strengthen you, by the power of the Holy Spirit, that you may love in grace and peace. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment