Sunday, March 13, 2011

One Solitary LIfe: What is your plan?

When I was little if you asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up I would have told you that I was going to drive a gas truck like my grandpa. I used to spend time every summer riding around with my grandfather in northern Indiana delivering gas and heating oil. It was a very cool thing to do. But, alas I did not become a truck driver.

As I grew older I wanted to become an architect. I loved designing and building things. I built things with Lego blocks back when they were nothing but multi-colored bricks. I then discovered that becoming an architect was a very lengthy process. So, I did not become an architect.

As I headed off to college, I did not have a plan for what I wanted to be. I just wanted a college degree and I was firm in the belief that the degree would open doors for my future. When I graduated, I wanted a job in sales. I became a top salesman.

I went on to own part of my own company. I gained a reputation as a top sales trainer and as a forward thinker in business. But, it wasn’t enough for me. At least it was not enough to answer the questions that began to burn inside of me:

I began to ask my self is this it?
Is this all there is?
I was successful, but was I making a difference?
Was I doing anything of significance?
What would my legacy be? What would I leave behind?

I think no matter where we are in our lives, when we are honest with ourselves we begin to ask the hard questions.

We begin to ask questions of ourselves like: “Why I am here?”

I think that is what the season of Lent (our journey to Easter) can be for each us.

Lent can be a time that we can ask ourselves, whether we are young or old or somewhere in between – “Am I making a difference with my life?”

We all want to make a difference with our lives? (Right?)

So, what are your plans to make a difference?

Take the time to write them down . . . (no really, write them down)

When I was in the business world, I use to consult with business owners about their business plans and their sales and marketing plans. They would tell me all that they were doing and planning to grow their business and then I would pause and ask, “So how’s that working for you?”

So, take a look at what you have written down and ask yourself, “How’s that working for you?”

Again, I believe we all want to make a difference with our lives.
We all want our faith to have meaning in how we live. We want to have impact on people’s lives.

We want to be remembered as having made a difference for having lived our lives.

But here is the catch, if you are still asking the questions then whatever your plan is - it is not exactly working out like you had hoped.

Let me share with you a simple plan that works.

So simple, that you have probably heard it before and missed it.

It is contained in three words.

It is a plan for making a difference with your life.

It is a life altering plan.

It is a plan that will take your one solitary life and send it in directions that will change not only your own life but the life of everyone you encounter.

Are you ready?

“Come Follow Me.”

I told you it was a Simple plan.

It was Jesus’ plan for his disciples then and it is His plan for His disciples now.

“Come follow Me.”

It is a choice.

“Come” as in move from where you are.

“Follow” as in you are not in charge.

And “me.” As in it is personal.

You want to make a difference with your life?

Then let someone else lead. Not just anyone – this “Me” is the Master, the Son of God, the Alpha and the Omega, the Wonderful Counselor, the Mighty God, the Christ, the Messiah, The Promised One, the Perfect Lamb, Emmanuel and in time you will learn everything you need to make a difference in this world.

And remember that this call is to you personally. Make a commitment this Lenten season to commit your life to discovering the meaning of this simple plan – Come Follow me.

Allow your one solitary life to find direction in the simple words – “Come Follow Me.”

Will you answer the call?


VIDEO from worship service: I was here

No comments:

Post a Comment