Friday, August 12, 2011

Day 216 a note from God: Jeremiah 18-22


This is the word that came to Jeremiah from the LORD: “Go down to the potter’s house, and there I will give you my message.” So I went down to the potter’s house, and I saw him working at the wheel. But the pot he was shaping from the clay was marred in his hands; so the potter formed it into another pot, shaping it as seemed best to him.
Jeremiah 18:1-4

I have long been a fan of Jeremiah. After all he is the first herald of the new covenant that comes to be through Jesus. He wouldn't like that guy.

But, I must confess I have often struggled with how could a consistent God change to plan B with Jesus. And how could Jesus be plan B?

But then in a passage so familiar to me in Jeremiah I often gloss over it. Today I read it again and there was the answer.

For those that have worked with clay on a potter's wheel this passage makes even more sense. Sometimes the best laid plans are changed when the clay doesn't cooperate with the potter.

That is what Jeremiah sees in the potter's house. God had a plan, but the people's response to the plan required God to make something new from the same creation.

I am thankful for Plan B. I like grace a lot more than the law.

I am thankful for a God that is willing to work with the stubborn clay that is called His people.

No comments:

Post a Comment