Tuesday, August 6, 2013

On the way to Sunday ... Jesus the Carpenter


Ever wonder why Jesus was a carpenter?

Perhaps it is revealed in our ever growing obsession with DIY (Do it Yourself) Projects. HGTV, DIY Network, Food Network (and all like them) are the bane of my television watching at home. With 200+ channels it makes since that there are a growing number of viewer specific television shows. So, at our house "WE" watch Design Star, Property Brothers, Holmes on Homes, Love it or List it, House Hunters, House Hunters International, and so many more. Is it a good thing that I know who David Bromstad is?  I want my TV back!

Our preoccupation with DIY projects is not limited in scope nor is it limited to our generation. We, as a people for generations, have tried to find ways to God with our own DIY projects. We have tried absolute morality. We have tried subjective morality (More good things will out weigh the bad and get me to heaven).

In ages past we even tried to build an actual tower to reach the heavens. And less we think those people were nuts, today we wrap up our attempts to build a gateway to God with fancy words like spirituality. Which in my opinion is simply a way to build a path to God on our own - it is our Do it Yourself Project for eternal life. Spirituality eliminates our singular need for Jesus and the work of the cross. Spirituality replaces our need for Jesus with our own “I” centered theology of “Doing it Yourself.” We no longer need Jesus – after all isn’t he just a carpenter? I can do this on my own.

For by Him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by Him, and for Him     Colossians 1:16 KJV

Dis you hear the carpenter at work?

Creating all things? Building what is needed? Restoring what is broken?

Life was not meant to be a DIY project and certainly building a relationship with God was not intended to be a DIY project either.

Thomas said to Jesus, "Lord, we don't know where you are going, so how can we know the way?" Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you really knew me, you would know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him."    John 14:5-7 NIV 

How can we know the way? Did you hear the answer?

But isn’t that the carpenter speaking?

Yes it is and for that I am thankful because I do not have to make my life a DIY Project.

 

For more: Lessons from the Carpenter: An Apprentice Learns from Jesus by H. Michael Brewer





No comments:

Post a Comment