Friday, May 11, 2012

On the way to Sunday . . . Spreading some Mulch


I love the results that laying down new mulch provides. Everything looks brighter and more alive!

That said, I am done moving mulch. While I very much appreciate that Nettle Creek Custom Gardens delivered and donated all the mulch, but moving it all over the yard was more work than I really wanted on Thursday afternoon.

Not wanting to waste any moment as a teachable moment . . . I made an observation I wanted to share with you.

In gardening, mulch is a protective cover placed over the soil to retain moisture, reduce erosion, provide nutrients, and suppress weed growth and seed germination. at least that is the technical reason for mulching. The reality for most homeowners is that they like the look that adding new mulch creates in the flower beds and around the lawn.

I confess that while I didn't like the work, I did enjoy the view of the garden afterwards. All the colors seemed brighter and everything seemed more alive and green.

I know the look will wear off. I also know that the mulch won't keep all the weeds from coming back. There is still work to be done in order to keep everything looking good.

That is when it dawned on me ...

Too often that is what we try to do with church.

We show up on Sunday, as if laying a little "mulch" on our lives will take care of everything. We go to church and leave feeling better about ourselves and our lives. BUT and here is the problem ... Church alone won't get it done.

It might look good to others.

It might even help you feel better.

But if you aren't doing the daily work of prayer and study ...

If you aren't doing the daily work of living your faith ...

You will have done nothing more than throw mulch on the problems of your life and in no time you will be right back to where you started.

So this week, when your done spreading the mulch continue the work you started.

Put on some work gloves.

Pull some weeds.

Water the flowers.

Trim the shrubs.

See you Sunday, I'll be the one with the work gloves in my back pocket.

No comments:

Post a Comment