Sunday, May 20, 2012

Refrigerator Theology: You want me to do what?


An old story/joke worth repeating:

On one particular instance, the wife was ill and the husband volunteered to go to the grocery. The husband was sent him off to the store with the list from the refrigerator that was carefully numbered with seven items. The husband returned shortly very proud of the quick work he had made of the shopping and proceeded to unpack the grocery bags. He had one bag of sugar, two cartons of eggs, three hams, four boxes of detergent, five boxes of crackers, six cucumbers, and seven green peppers.

That’s the problem with lists. You have to understand them. I am a list maker. I make lots of lists. I believe in our lives as followers of Christ, in our lives as members of God’s church, that we are each given the opportunity to do things. Some things we are enlisted to do; some we volunteer to do, but no place in Scripture are we ever told that our work is done, or our list comhttp://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gifpleted, while we are living on this earth ... we have a list of things to do.

But how do we figure out what we should be doing? How can one person respond to all that is needed to be done in the world, the community, the church?

Moses was called by God to do God’s work and Moses had every reason to go where God sent him and every excuse why he didn’t want to go. In Exodus chapter 3, Moses was out tending his father-in-law’s sheep when he saw the burning bush. God called to him and said, “Moses! Moses!” He replied, “Here I am”. God then explained that He had seen the misery of the Israelites in Egypt and had plans to free them. He told Moses that He was sending him to Pharaoh to lead the people out. Moses then replied, “But God, Who am I to do this?”

God reassured Moses by telling him, “I will be with you.” In chapter 4, God told Moses that He would work miraculous signs to show that Moses was indeed from God. Even after all of this, from the burning bush to the miraculous signs and God’s reassurance, Moses says, “Please send someone else to do it."

Too often this is our response and our ability to reap all the benefits of our service is limited by our lackluster response and our “desire” to let someone else do it.

Isaiah was also called to be one of God’s prophets and his response stands in stark contrast to that of Moses (Isaiah 6:1-8).

Isaiah heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And he responded saying, "Here am I. Send me!"

What a difference in this answer and Moses’ answer! When Isaiah was struck with the realization of where he was and whose presence he was in, he was overcome with fear! He cried out, “I am ruined!" Isaiah knew that even though he was God’s prophet, he was also a sinner. What I like about his response is that it is a response of availability.

Isaiah doesn’t respond with what he can do because of his talents, skills, or resources, but rather Isaiah says, “I am available. What do you want me to do?”

Too often our desire to serve is driven by our desire to be rewarded, to be seen, to be in front. Isaiah provides the example that a better response is to simply be available. But why should we make ourselves available?

“Then the king will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who will receive good things from my Father. Inherit the kingdom that was prepared for you before the world began. I was hungry and you gave me food to eat. I was thirsty and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger and you welcomed me. I was naked and you gave me clothes to wear. I was sick and you took care of me. I was in prison and you visited me.’ “Then those who are righteous will reply to him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you a drink? When did we see you as a stranger and welcome you, or naked and give you clothes to wear? When did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ “Then the king will reply to them, ‘I assure you that when you have done it for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you have done it for me.’
Matthew 25:34-40

We are each called to serve the world as Christ served the world. This is a mission that we share together.

But how will we respond, with excuses or availability?

• “Whom shall I send to care for those that are homebound?”
• “Whom shall I send to straighten up the church after Sunday services?”
• “Whom shall I send to befriend the lonely?”
• “Whom shall I send to pray for our teachers and our schools?”

God is still asking you, “Whom shall I send?”

What is your answer?

Not what do you have to offer, but will you make yourself available.

Take a step of faith. No more excuses - Heed the call – make yourself available in the service of the Lord this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment