Tuesday, May 15, 2012

On the way to Sunday . . . Feeling Hungry


Then the people will ask, “Lord, when did we fail to help you when you were hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in jail?”

The king will say to them, “Whenever you failed to help any of my people, no matter how unimportant they seemed, you failed to do it for me.”

Matthew 25:44-45 NIV

There is a problem with hunger in our world. Every day more than 14,400 children die of starvation. This frightening statistic is due to many factors, and it is a problem that can be corrected.

One packet of Kids Against Hunger food provides SIX highly nutritious meals. These meals were designed to combat starvation and are also widely accepted at food pantries in the USA.  Ingredients include Fortified Soy, 21 Vitamins & Minerals, Dried Veggies and Rice.

Kids Against Hunger works because volunteers of all ages work together, and pack tens of thousands of meals in an amazingly short time! The meals are distributed to partners overseas, as well as to local food pantries in the community.

Beyond the problem of hunger there is another problem. This problem is the response of the people of God. We too often to paraphrase the words of Christ to read something like this:

For I was hungry while you had all you needed. I was thirsty, but you drank bottled water. I was a stranger, and you wanted me deported. I needed clothes, but you needed more clothes. I was sick, and you pointed out the behaviors that led to my sickness. I was in prison, and you said I was getting what I deserved.

Perhaps instead of finding excuses, we should be about doing the work of the kingdom.

They will know we are followers of Christ by the love we show and I might add by the things we do.

What will you be doing this week as you prepare for Sunday?


No comments:

Post a Comment