Friday, December 2, 2011

Day 328 a note from God: I Corinthians 12-14


If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears. When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me. For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

I Corinthians 13 NIV

This passage of scripture is from Paul’s letter to the church in Corinth. By many it is considered the greatest description of love ever written. It is the most often chosen passage of scripture read at weddings.

I often ask couples that choose this passage, "How then does one love someone in this way?"

I offer this advice:

First, you must always remember that God loves you. He loves you just as you are with all your faults, failings, weaknesses, strengths, good and bad. God loves you. It is this love that will allow you to love yourself just as you are. Before you can love anyone else, you must first love yourself.

Second, in order to love someone with this type of love you must commit yourselves to seeking God’s will in your lives. God will not send you and your spouse in different directions. Trust one another and learn to trust God.

Finally, what you promise on a wedding day, must be renewed and rededicated every day. Each day of your marriage you must decide that you want to love one another and you must decide to remain committed to the vows you make.

No comments:

Post a Comment