Tuesday, April 2, 2013

On the way to Sunday ... Hiking in Oregon


Back in 2006, My family discovered the joy of hiking while living in Oregon.  Even Riley, who doesn't much care for the idea of walking any where, liked the adventure of hiking - there was seemingly always something new to discover around each bend in the trail.

Work had brought us West.  Like those of old, we followed the Oregon Trail in hopes of finding our fortune in the Pacific Northwest.  Life was good. 

Living and working on West Coast time was a pleasant change of pace and suited us well.  Riley excelled in school.  Sherry discovered her artistic talents and after a decade of long retail hours and business ownership, we discovered weekends as a family - hiking, the beach, relaxing by the pool, and grilling out.  Did I mention that life was good?

But then. Doesn't life seem to always have those - 'but then' ....

I felt good, but then the Doctor told me ...
We were in love, but then ...
Our kids were doing so well at school, but then ...
I had a great job, but then ...

I was caught up in that last one.  The company that moved me to Oregon and put me in charge of a new program decided to go in a new direction - one that didn't include me or my program. I had been through this before - the frustration, the grief, the anger, the depression, the lack of control, unemployment, the long job search. But somehow this time was different.

Perhaps being surrounded by the beauty of God's creation made His voice easier to hear.  Somehow I knew this would be okay - God was with us.  He had been all the time - in the good and now in the bad.  I didn't understand why this was happening, but I didn't need to.  I just needed to stay in love with God.

Pete Wilson writes in his book, Plan B: Your dreams may not be happening, and things aren't turning out the way you expected, but that doesn't mean your life is spinning out of control. It just means that you are not in control.

I have to admit that is hard for me - I like being in control.  I like knowing where I am and where I am going.  I plan trips to the Grocery store - complete with lists and plans for the best route once in the store - there will be no wandering around aimlessly for me! 

But this was different.  I knew I wasn't in control and for the first time I was okay with that.

Bad News - I am unemployed in Oregon

Good News - A call came asking if I was available to serve as a Pastor in Indiana.

I want to tell you that I would have said yes to that call when I had my great job and a corner office, but I just don't know.  I now know that God used what I thought was Bad News to reignite the Call to Ministry in my life.

As you go through this week, looking ahead to Sunday ...

What controls you?  What is keeping you from letting God be in charge? What might happen in your life if God was in control?

For me, I know that answer - for now anyway - after all I am not in control. Come to church this Sunday and I will be the one up front helping leading worship.  I'm a Pastor in Indiana and right now I am working on a message to bring to the faithful as they gather entitled: Good News: Bad News!

See you Sunday ...

No comments:

Post a Comment