Wednesday, April 24, 2013

One the way to Sunday ... All Alone?

Sometimes I think God must spend the day laughing at what we think of the ironies of life.  For instance, this week I am wrapping up a sermon series about the detours of life that I entitled: All Alone?  Now the irony is that this series of messages and titles was picked months ago without thought to what my personal calendar would look like.  So what are the chances that during a week when my wife would be gone for the week visiting the grandkids and daughter-in-law to be that I would be left all alone?  When you put God's sense of humor (irony) in to the equation, the odds go way up! 

I am now in day 6 - only 2 more to go.  So far, my son and I have survived and the dogs are still alive and well (I have hinted that I would give away the dogs and hire an Au Pair if she didn't hurry back).

There is a difference in solitude and loneliness. I enjoy quiet time away to think and reflect, but I always know that at the end of the time there will be someone waiting for me that understands me.  Now it would be easy for me to turn this into a simple Sunday School lesson: 

Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Matthew 20:20 KJV

But I am also reminded that God said it is not good for man to be alone (Genesis 2:18).  God was right it is not good to be alone.  This is not about marriage - simply put WE were made to be in community with others. When you are separated from community, you tend to think the worst - I am all alone and nobody cares! When you are separated from community, your hope quickly gives way to despair. 

I believe that is one of the many reasons the church was created - community. 

Those of us who are strong and able in the faith need to step in and lend a hand to those who falter, and not just do what is most convenient for us. Strength is for service, not status. Each one of us needs to look after the good of the people around us, asking ourselves, “How can I help?”  
Romans 15:1-2 The Message 

This kind of community is indispensable when it feels as if your life is falling apart or you just feel all alone.  While I have more than enough time for solitude I have never truly been alone.  I have had a community of faith that has been there asking "How can I help?” and simply knowing that they cared was enough to fill the days.

See you Sunday ... I will just be one of many coming together and thankful that their is a group of people that know my name and welcome me as part of their community.  Don't despair in solitude, join us and become part of the community.

And if my wife is reading this ... I am still hopeful that you will return this week safe and sound, but just in case, I have looked into the advertising rates for a help wanted ad not because I am lonely - just tired! 






No comments:

Post a Comment