Sunday, February 20, 2011

Jonah: Surprise! Surprise!


Ever felt like 'they' got what they deserved.

For Jonah the Assyrians – The Ninevites – were the 'they.'

Why? Because they had it coming.

To turn a phrase they were are all just getting there . . . “just deserts.”

Deserts (yes one S), in the sense of 'things deserved' has been used in English since at least the 13th century. A citation in which it is linked with 'just' came in 1599, in Warning Faire Women.author unknown:

"Upon a pillory - that all the world may see, A just desert for such impiety."

Deserts is now almost always used in reference to desolate and arid regions of land. The use to mean 'that which is deserved' is now limited to this phrase.

Desserts - the last or sweet course of a meal - is widely used and is pronounced the same way as the deserts in 'just deserts'. So, when hearing the phrase with the pronunciation like 'desserts', people think it must be the same word.

We like the idea of come uppance or just deserts. Especially when applied to others and not ourselves. We quickly forget the whole “Speck in your eye: plank in my own” thing that Jesus talked about.

So, What do you do in your own life when you are seemingly delivered that which you deserved?

That was the dilemma that Jonah was about to find himself in as he was thrown overboard.

Now the LORD provided a huge fish to swallow Jonah, and Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights. Jonah 1:17 NIV

Remembering that there are no atheists in a foxhole. Jonah prays:

1From inside the fish Jonah prayed to the LORD his God. 2 He said:
“In my distress I called to the LORD, and he answered me. From deep in the realm of the dead I called for help, and you listened to my cry. You hurled me into the depths, into the very heart of the seas, and the currents swirled about me; all your waves and breakers swept over me. I said, ‘I have been banished from your sight; yet I will look again toward your holy temple.’ The engulfing waters threatened me, the deep surrounded me; seaweed was wrapped around my head. To the roots of the mountains I sank down; the earth beneath barred me in forever. But you, LORD my God, brought my life up from the pit. “When my life was ebbing away, I remembered you, LORD, and my prayer rose to you, to your holy temple. “Those who cling to worthless idols turn away from God’s love for them. But I, with shouts of grateful praise, will sacrifice to you.
What I have vowed I will make good. I will say, ‘Salvation comes from the LORD.’” Jonah 2:1-9 NIV (also see Psalm 42:7-8)

We like grace in our lives. Others – were not sure of - they should get what they deserve. Parable of the workers in the vineyard told by Jesus.

"He replied to the one speaking for the rest, 'Friend, I haven't been unfair. We agreed on the wage of a dollar, didn't we? So take it and go. I decided to give to the one who came last the same as you. Can't I do what I want with my own money? Are you going to get stingy because I am generous?'
Matthew 20:13-15 The Message

We respond like the workers. We respond like Jonah. Jonah’s response is our response. In the midst of the trouble created by the disobedience of our lives, we cry out to God. We cry out for grace.

And in those moments when the deep is coming in from all sides – in that moment when it would be so easy for God to say – you got what you deserved, “Take your just deserts.”

God’s grace overwhelms us. God’s grace surprises us. God was not done surprising Jonah.

And the LORD commanded the fish, and it vomited Jonah onto dry land. Jonah 2:10 NIV

Shocking solution – Jonah didn’t see it coming. He certainly didn't see the second chance that was to follow (see chapter 3).

Then again it shouldn’t surprise us.

This is the same God who:

Protected Daniel after he was tossed into the Lion’s Den

Saved Shadrach, Meshach and Abednigo after they were placed in the firey furnace

Rescued one baby from all that were condemned to die from the river in order to save His people

Split the Red Sea

Felled the walls of Jericho

Called the smallest of shepherd boys to be king

Used a persecutor of Christians to build the church

Sent a baby born in a manger to be the Messiah.

Allow the God of surprising grace to surprise you today.

Allow the surprise of grace to enter your life.

Allow the surprise of grace to enter your relationships.

Allow the surprise of grace to replace just des---erts – with the dessert of God’s grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment