Thursday, January 9, 2014

Guilt Free Bible Reading Plan: Matthew 7 - For Sale ...

 
I must confess I love trinkets and T-Shirts and gadgets and doo-dads.  I even love a good parody. But, as I Wander through any Flea Market or Christian Book Store I have to ask how far is too far?
 
At what point have we moved beyond the purpose of sharing the Gospel and glorifying God and ... well let's be honest ... at what point did selling Jesus just become another profit model? 
 
And then when I think I am just being cynical ... I read Jesus words:
 
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it.  But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.  Matthew 7:13-14 NIV

Maybe we missed the mark (I think that is actually a definition of sin - Oh my!) when we try to make the road to Jesus easy.  After all while we are trying to woo the masses with our cute marketing schemes aren't we actually trying to make the gate wide?
 
And yet there are those words from the reading today that are somewhat haunting .... the gate is small and the road narrow.
 
Why then are we spending so much time trying to widen the road and enlarge the gate?
 
I believe that God love each of us and desires a relationship with us, BUT there are requirements - even in receiving a gift.
 
Next time you see one of the cute Jesus things ... take time to ask the person why? and see how wide or narrow the gate is ... and then remember what Jesus said ...
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment