Monday, July 2, 2012

On the way to Sunday . . . Practicing Grace

Here I am to save the day!

Look up in the sky! It’s a bird! It’s a plane! It’s ... you?

Why not? Who hasn’t dreamed about casting off the bondage of gravity and flying through the air like Superman or sticking to the side of buildings like Spider-Man or rescuing helpless vegetable like Larry Boy? I mean if a cucumber can do it, why can't I?

Unfortunately, reality has a way of ruining a good fantasy. After all, superheroes only exist in comic books, cartoons, and movies. I am just one person. What difference could I make anyway?

Instead of doing what I know is right, I do wrong. Romans 7:19 CEV

But still ...

I wish I had the power to always do the right thing.

I wish I had the power to make things right.

I wish I had the power to love the unlovable.

I wish I had the power to fix things gone wrong.

Amidst my wishing, I find God speaking to me through scripture:

Make sure that nobody pays back wrong for wrong, but always strive to do what is good for each other and for everyone else. 1 Thessalonians 5:15 NIV

Maybe I can be a superhero ...

Maybe by learning to practice grace in my life ... accepting God's forgiveness,

I can learn to practice grace in other people's lives as well.

Practicing grace on the way to Sunday ... see you then.

No comments:

Post a Comment