Tuesday, March 27, 2012

What does abundance look like?

I have to be honest. Since returning to ministry, I have not ever thought of myself as living with abundance. Especially, when I am paying the monthly bills.

Yesterday I had an experience that brought to light the abundance of my life that I take for granted. A gentleman stopped by my church office and asked for a ride to nearby town where a ride home would be waiting for him. It was a simple request and I was obliged to help him out. He was traveling home to Kentucky from Michigan. He had a duffel bag with him that weighed every bit of a 150#.

As we made our way out of town, I asked him if he had eaten anything. He replied, "I've had some snacks."

I said, "Let me buy you lunch."

He replied, "You know ... God's grace is amazing."

As we approached the McDonald's Drive-thru, I reached down to move my sunglasses from one of the drink holders in my car. I slipped it behind the CD Visor above my head. At that moment, I realized how much I had - sunglasses, CDs, money for lunch, a car, the list could go on.

As my new friend inhaled his lunch, I was filled with thoughts of gratitude - not for what I had, but for what I had been reminded of ...

In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.'" Acts 20:35 NIV

In that moment, I was reminded how much I had. I gave a small part of it to someone who needed it - even if they didn't ask for it and the result was an overwhelming blessing of gratitude.

We will never realize how much we have until the moments that we willingly give waht we have away.

When is the last time you experienced abundance in your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment