Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Pretty Good is Awesome in my book!

Last night I did what any father would do. I went to my son's 7Th Grade Band concert. It made me ever more appreciative of all the concerts my sisters and parents went to to hear me play saxophone, baritone saxophone, or piano when I was growing up. (A belated thanks since I probably never told you it mattered to me)

It was like any other Middle School concert. A parade of 3 different bands each of varying skill playing 3 songs none of which you knew, but in their own way were pleasant.

Here was my struggle. My son is 14 and has Down Syndrome. The fact that he is in the band is amazing in itself. The fact that he choose to play the xylophone is no small accomplishment for anyone. When he first joined the band, we hoped he could play the triangle (old joke) or crash the cymbals every now and then. But no, he wants to learn the xylophone. On top of the musical problems, he also suffers with extreme anxiety when in front of groups of people. You get the picture?

Several weeks ago his Band Director (Big shout out to Mr Jim DeCaro at Belzer Middle School) challenged Riley to move from his small set of Bells. This small set he has been playing for 2 years. This is the beginning point. Each note is labeled and he can see the note he is playing. But these 'real' instruments are larger and are not labeled. We were concerned that he would be discouraged and would fail and then be embarrassed and on and on . . .

Last night to our amazement he played 3 different types of xylophones (2 in one song alone) and didn't miss a note. You should have seen his expression after the concert - He was so proud of what he had done!

Normally My son's standard answer to anything asked is "Good." How was school? "Good" How was dinner? "Good" How was Band? Good

Last night when asked, "How did you feel about how you played in the concert?"

He paused, smiled real big and said, "Pretty Good."

In my book that was an excellent performance. You should have seen Dad. That really was pride you saw on my face in all that my son had accomplishment. But behind the tears of pride was also a bit of embarrassment for not believing that he could succeed.

Down Syndrome is not who my son is nor will it ever be. Last night I learned that he is a pretty good xylophone player. I can't wait to see what is next for him.

How many times has God called you to do something and your own fear of failure has held you back. Your Heavenly Father wants to see you succeed and can't wait to cry tears of joy at your success. Take a risk this week - who knows what music you might be making . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment