Monday, April 19, 2010

The Doctor will now see you

I have been a fan of Doctor Who since my childhood. Always grabbing a chance to catch an episode on PBS at odd times. Many a late Sunday afternoon was spent watching one of the Doctors saving the planet.

In 2005 when BBC brought back Doctor Who I was hooked once again and my Saturday nights were filled with SciFi adventures once again. David Tennant was the Doctor for me. As I introduced this SciFi classic to my wife and son, they also became fans of the Doctor.

This past Saturday evening the 'torch' was passed as Matt Smith became the new doctor. I watched again the final episode with David Tennant prior to the premiere and found myself once again in tears. How did I become so attached this other Doctor? There have been plenty before him. There was the incredible return to TV one season by Christopher Eccleston before David Tennant. While I was disappointed in his departure it wasn't like this departure. I was genuinely depressed. I genuinely grieved over the passing of this Doctor.


I wonder can I ever like Doctor Who as much as I did? Will this new Doctor and his companion(s) thrill me as before? If this first episode is any preview of what can expected to come I must confess I am excited about the future of this Doctor.

I still have my favorite Doctor on DVD to watch whenever I desire. I still wonder how David might have played that. I still long for more Rose Tyler. I still wonder about our human doctor in that other dimension. But until then, I will be more than content to watch the heroic exploits of this new Doctor Who and his companion Amy Pond.

Counting the time until Saturday Night once again . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment